Yellow Split Pea Soup with Smoked Paprika
Healthy, hearty soup for Winter
Write a review
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, sliced (¾ cup)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups yellow split peas
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 oz. rye bread (2 to 3 slices)
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Add paprika, turmeric, and cayenne, and cook 30 seconds.
- Add split peas and 4 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 45 to 60 minutes, or until split peas have broken down and soup is thickened and creamy.
- Meanwhile, to make Croutons: Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet, and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp, depending on thickness of bread. Remove from oven, and rub each slice with cut side of garlic clove. Cut bread into bite-size cubes.
- Purée Soup with immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish each serving with croutons and chives or parsley if you prefer it.
- To get some extra protein, you can add some lean ham or sauteed some kale along with the other veggies.
Per 1-cup serving
- Calories: 265
- Protein: 11 g
- Total Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: <1 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 142 mg
- Fiber: 15 g
- Sugar: 5 g
MyHealth MyDiet http://myhealthmydiet.com/